Tuesday, August 07, 2007

A Day in the life of raising twins

Just so i can look back in a couple of years and remember what my life was like at the beginning. I wanted to do a day in the life of twins. But before that i wanted to quote the shirts Paul and i wear with pride every once in a while

My shirt says:
"One Day with Twins: 24 Diapers
14 bottles
6 bibs
4 changes of clothes
0 sleep
"It's a good thing they're cute"

Pauls shirt says it all too!
2 cribs: 600.00
2 bikes: 300.00
2 college educations: 100,000(really in 18 years this will be EACH, so for us x'3)
Being the father of twins: priceless!

I'd like to talk about my shirt first. First of all if i actually tabulated the amount of diapers i'd have to say it's probably more. There are 14 bottles because we still feed them at 6,9,12,3,5,7,9. That's ALOT of bottles to clean every day. UGH! Then the bibs...who needs bibs! I probably use them once a day but we use burb clothes all day since they still spit up so much. Lately, both girls have been having some back luck with diapers leaking...both #1 & #2 so i change their clothes at least once or twice a day...there have been times where i've done way more than 4 changes of clothes a day!

Now to our daily grind. Paul gets up about 3 or 4 depending on if we get woke up by someone crying wolf in the middle of the night. The girls just don't sleep like Hannah did when she was a baby. I hear them peep(for lack of a better word) normally at least once or twice a week. That doesn't seem like much but when your going all day long 7 days a week...it's ALOT! Anyway i get up dragging my whole body out of bed around 6ish...Sam gets up about 5ish so i get her out of bed after she screams for a bit and take her into paul who's already furiously working. He holds her till after i get up at 6a and take a shower. Then if he hasn't gotten the girls up while i was in the shower(which he normally does) i get out of the shower and get them up. Taking a shower has always been my one "getaway" a day! I have to get up and take a shower or i just can't get moving. So then at 7a paul either goes to work or goes to the office to work on Tue & Thur. On Mom, Wed & Fri he goes straight to work and gets home about 330ish. On Tue and Thur he stays here and takes Hannha to school at 830ish. So on Mon, Wed and Fri after Paul leaves we normally play till around 730ish and then we eat breakfast. While we're eating i normally feed the girls puffs and put them in their bumpos on the table with me. Then after breakfast around 8a i put them down for their first nap. They sleep till about 845ish and then they get up and we play till about 9a then i feed them. Around 915ish i change diapers and then we play some more. I normally have to move them around from the floor to the exersacucers to keep them busy so they don't get bored with playing with one thing. I make sure they get some floor time rolling around now so they learn to crawl asap. Around 1030ish i put them back down for another nap and they sleep till around 1130ish. At 11a while they are sleeping Hannah and I eat lunch as fast as possible so we get to eat in peace and quiet. Then when they get up i try to play with them for a few minutes so i get as close to noon as i can before i feed them again. After 12noon we eat, play some more and do the same thing over and over agin. I keep them on this strict schedule b/c it really works for me. They are much happier on a schedule and i know what's going on when myself. During naps i have tons to do on top of trying to do some selling on ebay. I load the dishwasher, wash and fold clothes, clean up messes, play with Hannah and give her as much attention as possible, deal with contractors and more. Paul gets to go to work and have real adult conversations. I think that's the one thing i've missed being home for so long and esp now that Julia is gone. At least with her here i had someone to talk to...Not that i don't LOVE being on my own in my own house..i just miss talking to people although i talk to Melody and compare notes with her at least once a day. It's nice because we are both home with no one to talk to most days.

I forgot to say, Hannah is getting ready to start a new school Aug 22nd. Luckily we decided to hold her back because of her bday b/c she's went soo backwards potty training wise that we wouldn't be admitted to the upper class b/c she's back to being totally not potty trained. We've give up and don't talk about it and when she's ready she'll tell us.

I've written a book and babies are crying i'll write more later!

0 comments: